Thursday, January 28, 2010

Patton


We have officially named Liam's bear that we bought from Fort Myer for him when I was pregnant. "Patton" is closely watching over little man and making sure he is cared for. (Liam was born on Veterans Day, also General Patton's bday 11/11). PS Go Army, Beat Navy- hey Oseguedas.. :o)

Just a quick update as I settle in- he did get a chest tube on his left lung today. They think there is around 300 cc's of fluid in there and expect to drain quite a bit for the next few days which will help his breathing and get him off the ventilator. I just said good night to him and there is already close to 200 out of him since late this afternoon- I take this as a good sign. Its hard to see him this way but its the best thing for him. My new mantra.

The doctors also put a catheter on him to really watch his output, he hasn't peed since this morning and as soon as they did, he gave some. Apparently catheters on little boys jump start things..

I have found one doctor who gives it to me real and he told me again tonight, we are not outside the realm of things they have dealt with and he will be home with us when he is ready. He is also a cute doctor, but I swear, its his confidence in little man that I am drawn too. But seriously, this is not about getting him home, its about getting him healthy in his own time. We are taking it hour by hour and as you can read, we are going through a lot of ups and downs. Its taken a toll on us, physically and emotionally, but we have hope and faith.

I am sleeping at the hospital, on the other side of his floor in what they call sleep rooms. Let me say, its more like a sweat room. My thermostat says 78 and I think my hair is curling for the first time since last summer. I feel better and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. While this is all invasive, if this works and it is determined that the fluid is the cause of his set back, we are doing exactly what needs to be done. We are in the best place possible with an amazing team of nurses and doctors. I cannot wait to see what Liam does in this world, he certainly is my hero now. And I can't wait to introduce him to all of you.

3 comments:

  1. All my love to you and Liam and Alex... and Patton (so cute). :) Hang tough, lady (as always). Daniel and I will see you on Saturday, so if you need us to bring anything to you or if you need any help at all, you let us know. <3

    Q.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa and Alex,

    So when he comes home and is healthy enough to play, can I babysit?

    Best,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending lots and lots of prayers and love your way! It is me or does he seem to be growing even amongst the healing?

    Is that a gloworm? LOVE IT!
    Hugs - Kim

    ReplyDelete